Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Watercolor paint




We are on our 4th week back in homeschooling.  I am always amazed at how easy it really is!  There is way more structure to our day.  School work is getting done in record speed, chores are getting done, and the house is actually staying picked up.

At the end of our school day, after everything is all done and put away, we do an art/craft project.  This has been a huge motivator in getting things done.  If we haven't done our chores and school before Daddy gets home from work, we don't get to do a project. I've kept it exciting enough, we've only missed out two days in this whole month of not getting to do our project!

I saw the recipe on Pinterest for watercolor paint over the weekend, and even though I already had store bought watercolors, this was something I wanted to make right away!  The reviews promised this to be the best ever watercolors, and I admit, I was excited to give this one a try!

Super easy!  The above ingredients are all it takes, plus some food coloring.  I only had Walton cake icing gels on hand (just a small drop on a tooth pick!), so that's what we used.  The colors are amazing, so even if I had the regular food coloring, I would use the cake dye! 

I used the big muffin tins, there are a LOT of kids in my home, so I knew I'd need more than most normal homes. :)
12  TBSP of baking soda
6 TBSP white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp of light corn syrup
6 TBSP of corn starch.

First you want to mix the vinegar and baking soda. Do this in a large bowl (I used Pampered Chef's classic batter bowl) because it will fizz! Make sure you call in the youngsters to watch, it adds to the excitement!  Then mix in the rest!  Pour it all evenly into the muffin tin cups.


This job will be easier if the bowl you have chosen to mix it in has a spout.

I had Jemima help mix because she was the one most interested in this project and the big kids were doing math anyway.

Then comes the hard part.  You have to wait till it dries before you can start to paint!  It took about 30 hours here, it's been so humid the last few days, so that's probably why.

Everyone did their work super fast today, not a single member of our household wanted to miss out on this!

The colors are amazing! So bright and rich.  

It painted on so smooth too.  It also dried pretty quick!


In no time at all, my kitchen table was loaded with pages and pages of beautiful patterns and colors!  It was so much fun, even I had to get in on this one!!!

So no, I'm no artiest, but it sure was fun!!!






1 comment: