Friday, March 25, 2011

Custom made Homeschooling

  We started back to school this week!  We took a 3 week break so we could get moved and settled.  It's always hard starting back after that long of a break, but everyone was excited and we only had a little melt down one day.

  I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that on the worst days of homeschooling I HAVE thought about shipping them off to school.  Some kids really do thrive in a classroom setting.  However my children might not.

  Jesse is all boy! If his diet isn't properly controlled he can't sit still for more than 2 seconds. He himself will even admit he can't control what he does when he eats too much junk.  He MUST stay away from food dyes, processed foods, HFCS, and sweets.
He is a very bright boy!  And for the most part we are able to do all our classes together. Math is one of the ones he has a hard time doing.  Not because he has a hard time with it, he's great in math! When Jesse does math he likes total quiet. He is the reason there aren't brightly colored learning posters on the walls, there is no window by his desk, and no one is even allowed in the room with him but me.  I stay with him so I can kindly remind him "eyes on your work please!" when ever he starts to lose focus.  He has to be in a setting where there is nothing else to take his mind off his work.  We have tried to have our lesson together and Kathryn will have all her work done in minutes and Jesse will have a blank page.  It just does not work!  I am happy to announce that he is a grade ahead of where he should be, and that it is very rare if even one problem is wrong!  He is thriving because I have made it easy for him to keep his focus where it needs to be.

   Kathryn on the other hand is more like me.  She does math best when it's loud!  She likes an upbeat tune on the cd player blasting.  I know why that is, the beat in the song helps her keep beat in math .  She adds to the beat of the tune.  Jess would be out of his seat dancing a jig with her methods! :-D But this works for her. She is 3 grades ahead in math and also rarely gets any of the problems wrong.

  One of the best things is we are able to go into a deep study when someone has an interest in a subject.  We can really give a hands on approach to what ever it is we are learning about.  Not only is this more fun, but I have found that the lesson really sticks better.

  I know my children better than anyone else on the planet.  It is wonderful being able to understand that they are all different and not except them to learn the same way, or even at the same pace. I can let them speed up in things they are great at, and slow down and really take our time and work through the things that don't come as easily.  It makes learning easier when they don't feel threatened by something that is harder for them to learn.

  Homeschooling isn't for everyone.  It takes a lot of work on mama's part and understanding that I am going to have a bad day too on the child's part. :)  This is what works for us though, and honestly, I really wouldn't have it any other way!

Our school room! It is also our play room (toys are on the other side.)  In the middle of the floor is Jemima's "school" and her juice box. :)

5 comments:

  1. I love that about homeschooling, you can tailor it to each child. And phew, yes, it's hard work. I keep trying to mentally prepare myself now....life is going to get really, really interesting here in a few years. I only think it's a handful now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you all have a rhythm. Massive fish tank, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Homeschooling has been such a blessing for our family too! One of my friends said her son was having a hard time focusing on his math too. She had him build a little "corral". They took three pieces of wood and put them together so that the front and side views/busyness where blocked. He could have his work in this little space and not feel distracted by things around him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome you home school. It takes so much dedication on the part of the Mama to make sure it's getting done. I'd love to do it, but I don't think I'd do that well with it. Something to still consider before D starts, but I don't want to feel I cheat him because I'm not up to it.

    Glad it works so well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On my bad days I want to send mine back to school too!! Good to know Im not alone!I am right now trying to decide a curriculum to use next year. I just can't afford to drop a $500 per kid per year. Any suggestions!

    ReplyDelete