Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Smelling the Sticky Buns!

(These are NOT Gluten Free... seems I can handle gluten pregnant, as long as it isn't everyday.)


This morning I woke up with a craving.  I am thankful for my cravings lately because up till a few days ago, food made me sick.

Now I know I could have rushed to the kitchen and thrown these bad boys together much faster by myself, but I would have missed out on much more than having my amazing sticky buns faster! Mother daughter bonding time with my two little princess. I honestly think they made our treat even sweeter. :)

I call in Kathryn and Jemima.  When we cook together they like to be called Tiny and Mini Chef.  Kathryn has been saying for years she wants to be a world famous chef when she grows up, and I like to help her dream grow as often as I can.

I let Kathryn crack the eggs and measure everything. Jemima got to dump it all into the big bowl.  Sure, it made a major mess!  My table had a nice thick coat of flour, sugar, salt, and egg goo.  But the giggles we had while working together made the huge mess seem so small.

After everything was in the bowl each girl took a turn at mixing.  I always let Mini Chef go first because she's gotten to be a pro at it and hardly ever sloshes the mix out of the bowl and this way it's mostly formed into a ball by the time Tiny Chef takes her turn.
She still manages to get some out, but she's learning!

Tiny Chef takes kneading the dough very seriously! :-D Mini Chef is now at the point she can now do this all by herself.  

Then comes the rising.  We had to wait almost an hour for the dough to double in size.  We passed it quickly by cleaning up the mess and then making crafts for Love Day (we do this in the place of Valentines Day)! 
 I then call my Mini Chef to come help me finish our sticky buns.


And it hits me, 5 years of letting her be with me in the kitchen has paid off! I pretty much just get to sit back and watch her work now.  She is such a sweetheart.  She always works with a smile on her face and is always ready and willing when I call her to help. Her future husband is going to be one blessed man! 

We have to wait about an hour more.  The little ones go on with their crafting and the big kids have their math lesson.  Everyone gets up every so often to run to the oven just to check on the progress of what is making that amazing smell in the kitchen! :)

Finally it is time! All our hard work has paid off! 

Liam makes the best noises when he is enjoying something good! Here is is having his 3rd. :-D

Sometimes the biggest lessons in life are taught in the smallest way.  My time with these guys will be over one day.  It's so easy to get caught up in the rush of things and not take time to truly enjoy the life that is going on right now! We forgot as we age that everyday is beautiful and a gift. Even on the bad days, we are just blessed to be here.

This morning I showed my little girls how to bake sticky buns.  They showed me that I needed to sit back, slow down, and delight in my life just the way it is NOW! I am one very blessed women. :)

2 comments:

  1. you also need to share that recipe! lol I need to have Lydia in the kitchen more. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope when I have the privilege of being a mother that I am as patient and willing to teach as you are. I tend to want to just do things myself because it is faster and thats not always the best way to do things.

    ReplyDelete